CAC Lab at the Chronus Art Center is a place dedicated to the inquiry of present-day matters regarding art, design, science, technology and their impact on global contemporary culture and society. Through artistic practice, technological tools and research methods, we enable creative processes that result in works of art of high production and academic value.
The ideal candidate for the position is expected to have a versatile background encompassing own research-driven creative practice in relation to media art, adequate technical skills, as well as experience and interest for organizational work related to public programs, not-for-profit media art education, and cultural partnerships.
Producing research-based media art projects within Lab’s research strands.
Organizing and managing Lab’s projects
Fellowship open calls and management of artists in residence.
Organizing and hosting public program events such as workshops and seminars.
Actively seeking academic and cultural partnerships, co-funding opportunities, and collaborators.
Operating and maintaining Lab’s technical equipment (3d printers, laser cutter, other tools).
Directing and technically producing projects of collaborative nature (i.e. A&T@: http://lab.chronusartcenter.org/at/).
Assisting exhibition setups when needed.
Maintaining and regularly updating Lab’s website.
< Required Skills and Competences >
- Technical skills related to production and supervision of media art pieces:
- General Fabrication Lab knowledge (laser cutting, 3d printing, electronics, maintaining Lab’s machinery in good condition)
- Experience with exhibition setups (helping exhibitions team with artwork installation and other exhibition-related duties).
- Relevant experience related to the management of artists in residence, organization and execution of public programs (workshops, seminars; either taught by the applicant or organized/facilitated)
- technical direction and project management experience (Ability to manage medium-to-largescale technical development of artworks, assemble and manage a creative team, meet project deadlines, communicate with different parties involved, and keep track of finances)
- Initiatives in new projects, funding opportunities, and partnerships (seeking academic and philanthropic partners for Lab’s projects, residencies, and other programs)
- Inquiry driven personal critical media art practice is crucial (artistic direction, portfolio, and past exhibitions will be taken into account)
- A minimum of Master’s degree in media art or related disciplines, or a technology-related Master’s degree with proof of art-related experience (CV and portfolio)
- Links to or experience in academic research endeavors (participation in conferences, publications, informal transdisciplinary projects) is a benefit
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Basic knowledge of Chinese or passion to learn would be a benefit.
Please submit your cv, portfolio, and a motivation letter to email@example.com.
< Conditions >
- 3-year contract
- Working visa for China with yearly renewal
- Annual salary
- 24-hour access to Lab’s facilities
- 50% cover of yearly medical insurance.